Positive Behaviour For Learning (PB4L)
The Purpose of PB4L in Churton School is:
To achieve improved academic, social and behaviour outcomes for students, staff and the Churton community using a systematic approach of deliberate, purposeful, and overt teaching based on our school values.
Positive Behaviour for Learning helps parents, whānau, teachers, and schools address problem behaviour, improve children’s well-being, and increase educational achievement.
By strengthening relationships and creating more positive home and school environments, we remove barriers to engagement and improve students’ chances to achieve at school and beyond.L is a long-term (3-5 years), systemic approach. These include whole-school change, targeted group programmes, and individual student support services.
helps to develop inclusive learning environments that enable all children and students:
• to participate
• to be engaged
• to achieve
• to belong.
Our long-term goals are:
• positive changes in students’ ability to reflect on and manage their own behaviour
• increases in students’ on-task behaviour and engagement in class
• a decrease in behaviour referrals for major incidents
• more effective processes for dealing with behaviour incidents, and improved systems for collecting and reporting data.
• a more respectful, safe and inclusive school environment
PB4L takes the approach that opportunities for learning and achievement increase if:
· the school environment is positive and supportive
· expectations are consistently clear
· students are consistently taught desired behaviours
· students are consistently acknowledged for desired behaviours and undesirable behaviours are responded to in a fair and equitable way.